Saturday, April 23, 2011

I miss my Chi...

As the end of the semester approaches, one of the most common questions I hear: "What do you miss most from back home?"  Well most people give the standard answers: family, friends, Tex Mex, etc.  But what I really miss is my straightener.  Four months of big hair is getting a little obnoxious.  Granted, I did acquire a European flat iron to use over here, but lets be honest: it sucks.  So in about five weeks, my hair will be back up to its normal standard of awesomeness.  I'm also looking forward to getting back in shape.  I can barely run three miles any more.  Sad days!

I can't believe we've only got two more weeks of classes, and then a week of finals.  The semester has literally flown by.  But it's been really nice being in Rome this past week.  On Wednesday, we took an Art and Arch trip up to the Borghese Museum.  It was an area of Rome I hadn't been to before, and it's now probably one of my favorites.  It's got a huge park to hang out in, and it's not touristy.  Jackpot.  So that's where I'll be "studying" for my finals. 

We didn't have classes on Thursday or Friday, because it's Holy Week. So on Thursday, Michael, Ellie, Elise and I decided to be really ambitious and visit 15 churches.  I think we only made it to about 9 of them.  Note: If you're ever in Rome, I recommend visiting Trastevere.  It's a really neat area and the food is delicious. And cheap.  A broke student's dream.  We went to Mass at Santa Maria Maggiore and then visited seven different churches that were in Repose to gain a plenary indulgence.  It was the first time I've been in Rome at night and it was awesome.  There were so many young Catholics walking from church to church.  It's nice to see that kind of commitment.

On Friday we went to the service at Santa Croce de Gerusalemme.  They have pieces of the True Cross there.  And it was amazing to get to see it on Good Friday.

Today: almost all of campus left to go get in line for the Easter Vigil about 9 hours ahead of time.  I decided I didn't want to stand in line for so long.  So I stayed behind and am trying to get caught up on homework.  I've already written two papers today.  And it's not even 4 yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Easter Sunday mass at the Vatican with the Pope. We're leaving in the early hours of the morning, but hopefully we'll get decent seats again.  Ideally it won't rain on us, but it's looking a little cloudy.

So for all those concerned: I have yet again increased my Italian vocabulary.  It now consists of about 10 words and three phrases.  One of which I can use to tell creepy old gentlemen to leave me alone. Wish I would have known all of this in Florence...

No comments:

Post a Comment